So, it's been 6 months since I've last written.
Now I have a deep appreciation for those home schooling mommies whose blogs I read to get ideas from, how do they do it!?
Well, we've officially started school this week. Awaiting some more home school supplies from the Internet, but we're off to an okay start.
Here is Alejandro taking part in one of our new subjects this year, Nature Study. My plan was to take him on a walk down by the canal and observe birds with his binoculars, however, Summer has decided to stick around with a vengeance. It's just too hot and humid out for that!
We started out this morning by reading the first chapter in, The Burgess Bird Book for Children.
We read about Jenny Wren and her return home from the sunny south after a long 6 months winter. These stories are part of what Charlotte Mason called "living books", unlike text books that teach children through memorization of facts, these books are made up of stories that engage the child's imagination while intertwining those facts in a fictional narrative.
We had fun reading the story, and after lunch we looked at pictures online to see what a Wren actually looked like. I also got a bird identification app on my kindle. It's amazing, and fun, and has all the bird calls on it alongside beautiful watercolor images of the animal, and photos too.


No comments:
Post a Comment